Saturday, May 17, 2014

An Impromptu Trip to Philly



Earlier in the week, I decided to make a spontaneous trip after work, into the city with my brother. We hopped on a mid-morning train and headed out to explore the Historic District and the Reading Terminal Market.






First stop, however, was lunch. We were starving and heard rave reviews about Jim's Steaks. Well wort h the 20 minute walk from the train station. This was probably one of the best cheesesteaks I've ever eaten. Delish! In case your interested, I got mine with provolone and grilled onions. I was never down with the cheese-whiz cheesesteaks.



After our filling lunch, we walked a few blocks down to the historic district. I hadn't been in this part of Philadelphia since my elementary school field trip days. The weather was beautiful, so we walked around and checked out some of the monuments scattered around. The only center we really 'visited' was the liberty bell.


On our way back to the train station, we made a few stops at various thrift stores, vintage stores, and boutiques. I didn't end up buying anything, but one of my favorite finds was this Charlie Brown dictionary (I love and own a few old Peanuts comic books).



 
Last stop before heading home was The Reading Terminal Market. This was probably my favorite stop we made all day (what can I say, I love to eat). Not only did they have a wide variety of foods, but there were also cookbook stores, gift shops, and a few bath-and-body type places. My personal favorite was 'Bee Natural', a stand that sold entirely bee-themed products like beeswax candles, honey, and soaps. We managed to snag some dollar cookies and chocolates for the road.

I can't wait to explore more places in the city, and plan on coming back more over the summer. My goal this summer is to spend less money on 'things' and more money on traveling and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment